One of the most important aspects for getting the desirable ROAS is adding the relevant targeting. Details about targeting options are given in this article.
Types of targeting:
1.Personas: For targeting the audience on the basis of the interests they've shown in past.
2. Lookalikes: Audiences similar to the audiences that have already interacted with your brand.
Personas: A persona is a set of target groups most similar to each other on the basis of interests.
> For example, a persona named 'Persona discount seekers' targeted at audiences who are motivated by discount schemes contains the following interest group: Cash on delivery, Coupons, Free product, Buy one, get one free, Discounts and allowances, Discount shops, Sales promotion or Deal of the day.
> Similarly, a persona named 'Persona high value', usually used to target an audience that has shown interest in high-value products' brands or have a history of indulging in high-value purchases.
Listed below are some of the best-performing personas for different industries as per our observations:
|Western Apparels||Fast fashion, Mid to high western apparel, Casual wear, Mass market, Handbags, Etc|
|Ethnic Apparels||Ethnic mid-range apparel, Ethnic designer luxury apparel, Designer sarees, Luxury handbags, Etc.|
|Footwear||High heels, Men's/women's shoes, Luxury designer footwear, Mid-range footwear, etc.|
|Baby products||Baby brands, Bed-time stories, Kids and toddlers, Premium kids, Kids movies|
|Health and wellness||Sports, Fitness, Fit celebrities, Nutritional foods, Superfoods, Ayurveda, Immunity, etc.|
|Home Decor||Home decor, Home interiors, Gifting, etc|
|Jewellery and accessories||Jewellery, Accessories, Engagement, High value, etc.|
- Other personas that can be tried: Watches, Music, Fashion, Millennials, Colleges, Discount seekers, etc.
- Cross-industry personas may also be tried, for example, footwear personas may be tried in apparel. Similarly, apparels personas may also work in jewellery. The rationale here is that people interested in footwear would also be interested in buying apparel.
Lookalikes: Audiences that are similar to the audiences that have already interacted with your brand at one point in time.
> The audience size here is based on a percentage system that ranges from 1% to 10%, where a 1% lookalike has a comparatively shorter audience size but is most similar to the audience that has been selected. As we increase the percentage the audience size becomes broader however the quality (similarity) also dilutes accordingly, A 10% is the highest audience size however it's also the least similar to the base audience selected.
> The recommended percentage here is anything below 5%.
> It majorly only depends on the size of the base audience: If the base audience size is too small, it's recommended to use a broader time frame as well as a higher percentage.
> The time frame selected can be between the range of 30 - 180 days.
Lookalikes can be created of:
- Pixel Audiences: Website, view content, add to cart, initiate checkout and purchase.
- Lifetime customer data: Uploaded as a .csv file on audience manager. Steps here.
- Instagram/Facebook page audience: Instagram shopping and Facebook shopping audiences may also be added.
- Video viewed audience: the audiences that have seen your videos on the platforms.
1. The base audience selected for lookalike must have a minimum audience size of 1000 for Facebook to prepare a quality lookalike.
2. One persona/lookalike being used in one campaign should not be used in another campaign.
3. It's recommended to have up to 3 active ad sets in a campaign at a time, depending upon the budget set for the campaign. Ex.: A campaign having a budget of 1000 can have 2 ad sets whereas a campaign having a budget of 3k or more can have up to 3 ad sets.
How to create an ad set? Find the steps here.